Monday, July 16, 2012

I Want A New Drug

Sorry for the lack of Friday blog. Still haven't found a theme I desire. Should have one by this Friday, fingers crossed.

Okay, today's must haves is all about skin. Now that it's summer and the Sun City insists on living up to it's name, I have been sweating like a whore in church. Sweat leads to break outs. Break outs lead to me wanting to bury my face in the sand.

I tried ProActiv and was not impressed. I followed the instructions to the letter and even ditched makeup for a few weeks to really give it a chance. Guess what happened? I broke out even more. And painfully, you know, those deep zits that hide under the skin and hurt like hell. Even worse, when I called to cash-in on that money-back guarantee they offer, I was told that after I pay to return the product (which must me certified and insured) it would take 4-6 weeks for them to credit me back $19.95. I paid $29.95. What. The. Hell. It isn't worth it, to buy it or return it. If any of you use it and love it, great. I am super happy you found a product that works for you. But the product and the customer service didn't work for me.

I should have stuck with what was working for me. St. Ives Green Tea products from their Naturally Clear line. The scrub reduces my redness and has Salicylic Acid to fight breakouts. The cleanser is does the same but is more gentle for every day use. I also bought the body scrub/wash at the recommendation of my pal S and it's just as awesome. 



Amazon has great deals on all of these. I have a prime account, so I prefer to get the 2-packs to stock up because the shipping is free. 

Okay, so everybody knows that after cleansing and scrubbing and treating, you have to moisturize. My problem has always been dryness. But it's hard to find a good oil-free moisturizer. Plus, I'm lazy. I hate having to moisturize my face with one kind of lotion and my body with another. Luckily, Cetaphil makes a dermatologist recommended lotion for face and body. With no fragrance, it's a non-comedogenic lotion (which I have been told is what you want with a face like mine), moisturizes for hours, and even helps with the redness on my arms. 


I snagged a two-pack for only $14.98 with free shipping on Amazon.

After all of that, if I am feeling up to it (or if I have to be seen in public) I throw on some make-up. In the summer, I like to keep it to a minimum. Almay Smart Shade Balance is that minimum. I've tried BB Cream and can't find a shade that works for me. Almay makes it easy by having a shade that adjusts to me. They also make a great concealer, though I hope to not be using it soon (pray for clear skin!).


Once again, Amazon is my go to spot for both. It's cheaper than the store (if it's even in stock at most of them) and it comes to me in 2 days for free. $6.73 for the makeup and $6.96 for the concealer. I personally think it matches right up to more pricey brands.

And to take it all off, Neutrogena Make Up Removing Wipes are my preferred method. One wipe gets everything, even eyeshadow and mascara. You can get a HUGE box at Costco or a 100 wipe pack on Amazon. If you haven't picked up on it by now, Amazon is my go-to for most things. Stores here don't seem to realize if something sells out, you should re-stock it because it was in demand, and I hate running out of the stuff I use all the time. 



It's only $20.95 with free shipping. Cheaper than driving the 32-mile round trip to Costco!

Summer also requires sunscreen, well, if you don't want to look like leather. I prefer to have a healthy glow that isn't lobster, so I stick with another Neutrogena product. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Sunblock comes in 30, 45, and 70 SPF. I prefer the 45. It goes on quickly and is not at all greasy. Perfect for everyday use.


$8.98 for a can, but it lasts a while. You can usually find multi-packs at Costco as well.

Last, but my most important beauty essential, lip balm. I prefer Burt's Bees. Whether it's the original or the awesomely nourishing and beautiful tinted choices, nothing leaves my lips feeling as smooth.


This Tinted Balm Shimmer Combo comes in a variety of colors (this is Rhubarb, my fave). You can use them together or separately, either way is awesome! It's only $9.25. 

Hope my summer skin tips/recommendations help you! Here's a convenient widget from Amazon if you want to order any of them!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I love Cetaphil. :) I used to use it all the time on my face, and on my babies faces as well!!

Unknown said...

Usually, I don't have much to add in terms of beauty products, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the skin care line I use. It's called L'Bri, out of Mukwanago, WI. I used to use Proactiv (in college) and after I had my son, by body chemistry must have changed, b/c my face would not tolerate it...after using many, MANY other items, one of my friends introduced me to the L'Bri products and they are simply, amazing.

They are all aloe based products, and they have makeup, body wash, lotion, sunscreen, shampoo/conditioner, etc...I swear by each and every thing the company has. I religiously use their skin care trio and one set lasts about 6 months for me...best thing, no makeup remover needed - it all comes off with the cleanser.

And, sold by reps so no driving to a store - comes right to the house. My friend on f/b, Jennifer Muehlenberg, sells it if you have any questions/want to try something, I would happily pm you her number.

Post a Comment

 
;